Opened in 1844, St John’s Church was designed by Benjamin Ferrey (1810-1880), a pupil of the famous architect Pugin.
The church was founded by Bishop Charles Sumner (1790-1874), Bishop of Winchester, whose official residence was Farnham Castle and who, with his wife, Jennie, lies buried in the churchyard, below the East wall.
The church may look older than it actually is, as it is built in the Romanesque style prevalent in the late 11th Century. It has a distinctive tall round bell tower, rising above the south eastern corner of the nave. Inside the church, relatively simple round arches mark out the main body. Outside, the stone walls are built of Limestone clunch, held together with yellow mortar, give the whole building a soft golden glow. It was extended significantly in the 1870s due to Aldershot growing as it became a Garrison Town. You can see the chancel interior here.
A beautiful churchyard surrounds the church and there are some fine trees, especially yew and cedar. Near the traffic lights on the A325 there is a wall constructed of locally quarried ironstone dating from 1897. To see the churchyard click here.
The church is usually open during daylight hours throughout the year.